List of Items in the Rare Books Collection that belonged to Professor Skeats
The Library has its origins in a collection of books donated by Professor Ernest Willington Skeats (1875-1953) in 1928. Skeats was Professor of Geology and Mineralogy at the University of Melbourne from 1904-41.
(organised alphabetically by author)
- Arrhenius, Svante, Worlds in the making : the evolution of the universe , London, Harper & Brothers, c1908.
- Barrett, A. O., Australia's entail, Melbourne, Robertson & Mullens, 1937
- The Centenary history of South Australia / under the auspices of the Government of South Australia and the Centenary Committee., Adelaide : Royal Geographical Society of Australasia. South Australian Branch, 1936.
- Chapman, Frederick, The book of fossils, Sydney, Shakespeare Head Press, 1934.
- Chapman, Frederick, The foraminifera: an introduction to the study of the protozoa, London, Longmans, Green, 1902.
- Collet, Leon W. The structure of the Alps, London, E. Arnold & co., 1927.
- Davison, Charles, A study of recent earthquakes. London, Walter Scott publishing, 1905.
- Davison, Charles, The origin of earthquakes, Cambridge, The University Press, 1912.
- Elsden, J. V., Applied geology, London, "The Quarry" Pub. Co., 1898-99.
- Fenner, Charles, South Australia : a geographical study, structural, regional & human, Melbourne, Whitcombe & Tombs Limited, .
- Field, Richard M., The principles of historical geology from the regional point of view, Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1933.
- Findlay, Alexander, The phase rule and its applications, together with an introduction to the study of physical chemistry, by Sir William Ramsay. London, Longmans, Green, and Co., 1904.
- Fisher, Osmond, Physics of the earth's crust, London, Macmillan and Co., 1889.
- Foster, Clement Le Neve, A text-book of ore and stone mining, London, Charles Griffin, 1904.
- Frazier, S. M., Secrets of the rocks: or, the story of the hills and the gulches: a manual of hints and helps for the prospector and miner, Denver, Hall & Williams, 1905, c1904.
- Gardiner, C. I., An introduction to geology, London, G. Bell, 1914.
- Geikie, Archibald, Sir, Landscape in history: and other essays London, Macmillan and co., 1905.
- Gregory, J. W. Geography : structural, physical and comparative, London, Blackie and Son, 1908.
- Gregory, J. W. The nature and origin of fiords, London, J. Murray, 1913.
- Harrap, George, A school geography of Queensland, Brisbane, Dept. of Public Instruction, 1916.
- Harrison, William Jerome, A text-book of geology : intended as an introduction to the study of the rocks and their contents, London, Blackie, 1903.
- Horwood, C.B., The Witwatersrand and associated beds, Johannesburg, Esson & Perkins 1905.
- Howorth, Henry H., Ice or water : another appeal to induction from the scholastic methods of modern geology, London: Longmans, Green, 1905.
- Huxley, Thomas Henry, Physiography : an introduction to the study of nature, London, Macmillan, 1904.
- Judd, John W., Volcanoes : what they are and what they teach, London, Kegan Paul, Trench, Trubner & Co., 1903.
- Merrill, George P., Stones for building and decoration, New York, J. Wiley & sons, 1903.
- Milne, John, Earthquakes and other earth movements, London, Kegan Paul, Trench, Trubner, 1903.
- Milne, John, Seismology, London, Kegan Paul, 1898.
- Newbigin, Marion I. An introduction to physical geography, London, J. M. Dent & sons, 1912.
- Park, James, A text-book of mining geology : for the use of mining students and miners, London, Griffin, 1906.
- Pittman, E. F., The great Australian artesian basin and the source of its water, Sydney, Geological Survey of New South Wales, 1914.
- Reade, Thomas Mellard, The evolution of earth structure : with a theory of geomorphic changes, London, Longmans, Green, 1903.
- Rogers, Arthur William, An introduction to the geology of Cape Colony, London, Longmans, Green, 1909.
- Rosenbusch, H., Microscopical physiography of the rock-making minerals: an aid to the microscopical study of rocks., New York, J. Wiley & Sons, 1903.
- Schwarz, Ernest Hubert Lewis, Causal geology, London, Blackie, 1910.
- Smith, Henry G. Minerals and the microscope, London, Murby, .
- Spurr, Josiah Edward, Geology applied to mining : a concise summary of the chief geological principles, a knowledge of which is necessary to the understanding and proper exploitation of ore deposits, for mining men and students, New York, Hill, 1904.
- Wallis, B. C., Australasia and New Zealand, London, Macmillan, 1924.
- Woodward, Arthur Smith, Outlines of vertebrate palaeontology for students of zoology, Cambridge, University Press, 1898.
- Woodward, Horace B. History of geology, London, Watts, 1911.