Our links focus on selected Australian, mainly Victorian sites. For general and international mapping sites we suggest you use a site
specializing in mapping links, such as Oddens Bookmarks
or Geo Community, which have links to thousands of map related sites worldwide. This page does not contact an excusivelist of material, rather is a reference and beginning place for common reference inquiries.
If you have found a site you think would be useful please tell us at maps-info@ unimelb.edu.au for consideration.
Sites listed on this page are regularly checked to ensure the linked sites are still operational. The most recent verification was completed on 14 May, 2013.
Australian Geographic Information
- Geoscience Australia (formerly AGSO and AUSLIG)
- Commonwealth government mapping and earth sciences information.
Map Connect - an interactive online mapping service that allows users to preview and download the GEODATA TOPO 250K Series 3 data with a standard browser interface. This is a FREE service.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics(ABS) - Australia's official national statistical organisation.
- CData2006 Online - allows you to create your own tables of Census data on a range of different topics such as - age, education, housing, income, transport, religion, ethnicity, occupation and more. All Census geographies are available, from a single Collection District to an entire State/Territory or total Australia. You are able to create your own custom areas and to view your Census data in tables, graphs and maps. The CDATA Online Product Brief provides a full description of this new product. CData2006 Manual
2011 Census Data Packs - Free for down
2011 SEIFA Data - Free for download
- Statistical Geography - Australian Standard Geographical Classification (ASGC), Digital Boundaries , 2006
Including Census Collection District boundaries Local Government Areas, State boundaries & Statistical areas. Available inMapInfo GIS files.
For use with Cenuses data collected 2006.
- Australian Standard Geographical Classification (ASGC) Digital Boundaries (ASGC), Australia, July 2011
- 2006 Social Atlases - Free PDF downloadable issues of all of the demographic atlases for Australian capital cities.
- ABS Training: Online Learning - Tutorials
- How to cite ABS sources
- Geoscience Portal
- An initiative of the Australian Chief Government Geologists Committee. It is aimed at providing a portal to link the information of state, territory and federal government geoscience agencies.
- Geoscience Portal Australian Spatial Data Directory (ASDD)
- Search for spatial data for anywhere in Australia.
- Commonwealth Bureau of Meteorology, Australia
- Climate and weather information, including downloadable maps.
- Rainfall, Temperature, Humidity, Evaporation, Wind & mean sea level pressure, Sunshine & radiation, Cyclones & thunderstorms maps
- National Native Title Tribunal
- Resolution of native title claims over lands and waters. Site includes free spatial data and maps.
- The Australian Mines Atlas
- Create a map showing Australia's mines. You can use the Quick Search tool to locate a mine by name, or for more in-depth research, the Advanced Search tool has a wider selection of search options. The mapping application also allows you to view points in Google Earth and print maps in PDF format.
- Department of Environment and Heritage, Australia
- Environmental information (commonwealth government)
- Australian Natural Resources Atlas
- Produced by the National Land and Water Resources Audit.
Bioenergy atlas of Australia - maps and information on existing and potential biomass energy resources.
- The Australian Coastal Atlas
- The Australian Coastal Atlas is a network of Australian Government and State/Territory nodes using a variety of interactive mapping tools to provide information about the Australian coastal environment. These nodes are managed by the States and Territories. If you are experiencing problems with a node, please contact (see below) the appropriate administrator directly.
- OzCoasts is a publicly accessible online database with a web-based interface that provides comprehensive information about Australia's coasts (including its estuaries and coastal waterways) to natural resource managers, marine scientists, planners, policy makers and the general public. This information and data helps to generate a better understanding of Australia's coastal environments.
- Australian Soil Resource Information System
- ASRIS provides online access to the best publicly available information on soil and land resources in a consistent format across Australia. It provides information at seven different scales.
Australia Map Directory of Street-directory.com.au
- Comprehensive listings of in area of businesses, communities, events and addresses in Australia.
- Arrowsmith maps of Australia
- John Arrowsmith produced the largest scale maps, constructed mostly from official government sources, of the British colonies during the early to mid nineteenth century period.
top of page
Victorian Geographic Information
- Land Channel
- Victorian Government land and property information and services about land and property anywhere in Victoria. Formerly Office of the Surveyor General (Victorian Government).
- Map Share- A number of the department's businesses are currently compiling map views based on particular themes of interest. These map views will be formally published as interactive maps on the MapShare interactive mapping site…..
- DSE Interactive maps - These interactive maps allow you to zoom in and out, pan around the map, identify features in the map, perform queries on databases, generate reports, link to other sites and create printable maps (in PDF) based on themes
- Victoria's planning schemes - From this page you can access all of Victoria's planning schemes provisions and maps.
- Forest Explorer Online - Access to Victorian forest information and data used in forest management decision-making. Forest Explorer provides an important basis for engagement between the department and individuals and communities in relation to forest management issues.
- VicMap - Victorian Spatial Data - Search for spatial data that originates in or may be of use in Victoria.
- Victorian Spatial Directory - A spatial data directory enables a user to find a dataset
- Department of Sustainability and Environment
- Incorporates Coasts & Marine, Conservation & Environment, Customer Services, Fire Management, Forestry, Heritage, Land & Water, Parks & Reserves, Planning, Plants & Animals, Property, Titles & Maps and Recreation & Tourism.
- Department of Primary Industries
- Including Agriculture & Food, Fishing & Aquiculture, Minerals & Petroleum and other units
- Geological map sheets - Free - Downloadable versions of published geological sheet mapping. 1:50,000 - 1:250,000
- Explore Victoria Online - GeoVic - Free - Online mapping application with downloadable layers
- Geoscientific data - CD-ROM packages of GIS data available to be ordered
- Soils - Often requested but hard to find
- Victorian Resources Online (VRO) is your gateway to a wide range of natural resources information and associated maps. You can access this information at both Statewide and Regional levels across Victoria.
- The Victorian Spatial Council
- The peak spatial information associations for business, government, academia, the professions, and key interest groups.
- The Melbourne Atlas 2006
- he Melbourne Atlas provides a comprehensive picture of how Melbourne is changing and the major trends that have shaped Melbourne over the last 50 years. With a focus on metropolitan Melbourne, the Atlas features 8 chapters: Melbourne’s development; Melbourne’s people; Housing; Working; Living; Equity; Learning; and Sustaining the Environment.
- Victorian Water Resources Data Warehouse
- Includes interative online mapper and documentation.
- MMBW Melbourne Sewerage Plans 1890s-1950s
- Melbourne Board of Works plans with detailed footprints of buildings and structures.1 inch.: 40 foot.
- Department of Infrastructure (DOI)
- The Department of Infrastructure (DOI) is the lead provider of essential infrastructure in Victoria.
- Environment Protection Authority
- EPA Victoria's purpose is to protect, care for and improve our environment.
- Information Victoria
- Information about Victoria, including their Map Shop.
- Melbourne Water
- Corporation in charge of managing the supply of water for Melbourne.
- Victorian & Melbourne Visitors Maps
- A selection of maps of Victoria and Melbourne for visitors.
- Gateway to a wide range of natural resource maps and associated information.
- Victorian Soil and Land Survey Directory
- Over 100 records from the early 1900s to the present day.
- Melway Street Directory 1st Edition (1966)
- Online images, jpeg format of Melbourne.
top of page
New South Wales
- Department of Land and Property Information
- NSW Department of Lands Home Page.
- Spatial Information eXchange (SIX)
- This web site is provided by the NSW Department of Lands.
- Dept. Primary Industries - New South Wales
- Minerals and Petroleum
NSW Minerals & Petroleum - TAS Map - TAS Map enables the public to access and view frequently updated titles mapping information across NSW at the scale of their choice. Map images can be printed straight from the screen display or saved and inserted directly into word processing documents. An intuitive tool set allows the user to seamlessly pan, zoom as well as inquire about different Titles via a simple report.
- NSW Natural Resource Atlas
- Map, query and download environmental data
- Historical Atlas of Sydney
- The atlas features currently five resourse sets covering 1855 to 1949. Maps are downloadable as PDF files.
top of page
- Land & Maps
- South Australia's Department managing environmental and geographic datasets, and responsible for the provision of Statewide aerial photographic and satellite imagery services, and the maintenance of the State's fundamental digital cadastral datasets.
- PIRSA - Primary Industries and Resources SA
- SARIG is an online web application that enables users to search, view and download information relating to minerals and petroleum exploration in South Australia.
- Atlas of South Australia
- Interactive map generation tool.
- Spatial Information Committee
- Maintains effective communication and cooperation across all sectors of the industry.
top of page
- LISTmap - Search and view maps and spatial data over Tasmania.
Dept. of Primary Industries & Water
- Tasmanian Governments Land and Environment online site.
- Property, Titles & Maps - This section covers a range of topics reflecting the Department's varied responsibilities related to land, and falls into three main themes: land use planning; spatial information; and Crown land.
- TASMAP - produces maps, aerial photographs, and related land information.
top of page
- Department of Natural Resources and Water
- Property, mapping, surveying, aerial photography.
- Department of Environment and Resources
- Environmental information including Land & Property.
- Interactive resource and tenure maps
- Interactive resource and tenure maps allow you to zoom, pan, search and display geological data with mining and exploration tenure information for the whole of Queensland.
top of page
- Gateway to Western Australia's Land and Property Information. Includes plans, maps and aerial photography.
- Dept. Industry & Resources - Maps and Images
- Geological, geophysical, hydrological & Regolith Geochemical maps. Scanned from hard copies
top of page
- Dept. of Primary Industry, Fisheries, and Mines
- The Northern Territory Geological Survey (NTGS) actively develops geoscientific and index databases that are searchable online, or distributed via CD-ROM.
- Minerals & Energy
- STRIKE - Geoscience Web Mapping
- Downloadable free raster maps from printed products
- NT Atlas and Spatial Data Directory
- NT Atlas is an online application allowing users to view and query some of the more commonly used Northern Territory Government spatial datasets. The NT Atlas provides an interface to the NT Spatial Data Directory (NTSDD)
- Northern Territory Land Information System (NTLIS)
- Collection of historical andmodern information services offered to the public by NTLIS.
top of page
- Maps and aerial photography
- ACT Governement entry gate
- ACT Locate is an internet mapping service for the Australian Capital Territory. Search for and locate features on a map, such as a property address, road, block, etc
- ACT Planning and Land Authority
- Maps, land, and survey data. Including aaps, aerial photography spatial data, and place names information.
- ACTMAPi online geograpghical mapping service including aerial photography.
top of page
World Wide Geographic Information
OpenStreetMap - Wiki
OpenStreetMap is a free editable map of the whole world. It is made by people like you. OpenStreetMap allows you to view, edit and use geographical data in a collaborative way from anywhere on Earth.
Open Street Map Australia
Streaming detailed Political mapping and Satellite images.
Google Earth - Combines satellite imagery, maps and search feature as a 3D model.
Earth Atlas - Easily ingest and display KML files on this bowser version of Google Maps.
Similar 3D digital elevation model to Google Earth. More academic in nature than social.
MapPoint: Quick Reference Maps
Detailed directions and maps of the world and cities from MSN.
A composite of online map products including Yahoo Maps, NASA maps and Microsoft maps used unofficially and without permission.
Gaiagi Driver - Driving Simulator including Streetview and Birdsview
The driving simulator follows the path created by the directions and shows the present position in different views.
Following views are available:
Guide to Maps and Mapping
Good basic list of Map and Cartography resources
EarthSat: 15metre Landstat 7 images
Detailed images of the world from space.
Online publications grouped under the aegis "Geoscience e-Journals" (a former web ring converted into a genuine portal) incorporate those peer-reviewed electronic journals dedicated to open access publishing in the field of Earth Sciences (geochemistry, geophysics, paleontology, regional geology, stratigraphy, geography, etc.), that is those e-journals that permit free online access to all or at least a major part of their current issue and/or archives.
- upper left: Google Earth view
- upper right: Google Map view. You can toggle traffic information as well as street view information as overlays.
- lower left: Google Streetview
- lower right: Microsoft Birdsview
Sites with extensive links or information.
- Oddens bookmarks / Roelof P. Oddens
- A subject index of thousands of map and cartography related sites.
- Geo Community / GeoComm International Corporation
- Offers full text searching on over 1000 geographic-specific web sites.
- Global Change Master Directory / NASA
- Data concerning Earth Sciences, Global Change and other environmental information.
- Government Statistical Offices, and Social Research Sites
- Links to wide range of links of national statistical sites world-wide.
- Servers With Oceanographic Information
- Extensive list of Internet locations.
- United Nations Home Page / UN
- Includes databases, publications, departments etc.
- World Bank Home Page / World Bank
- Includes reports on publications, current projects, press releases etc.
top of page
Book of Curiosities - Islamic
In June 2002, the Bodleian Library acquired the unique complete manuscript of a hitherto unknown Arabic cosmographical treatise, the يKitāb Gharāib al-funūn wa-mulaḥ al-ʿuyūn, known as the Book of Curiosities.
Holy Land Maps
This project, based on the Eran Laor Cartographic Collection at the JNUL, contains over 1,000 maps dating from 1462 through the early 20th century.
- Ordnance Survey
- The national mapping agency of Great Britain. Get-a-map.
- Trainspotting Bükkes
- Railways of Europe.
- Digital Atlas of Ukraine
- This is going to be the comprehensive online GeoInformation System on Ukraine. It will contain digital maps of Ukraine, maps of regions (oblasts) and main cities with various useful information databses: roads, railways, cities, natural resources, monuments, minerals and much, much more.
INSPIRE Community Geoportal
- The INSPIRE Community Geoportal is Europe's Internet access point to a collection of geographic data and services within the framework of the infrastructure for Spatial Information in Europe (INSPIRE) Directive.
top of page
- HKUST Antique Maps [of China] Database
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) Library, Hong Kong, China. The Antique Maps of China collection includes more than 230 maps, charts, pictures, books and atlases. It represents almost all samples of China maps produced by European cartographers from the 16th to 19th centuries. This cartographic archive vividly records the long history of cross-cultural exchanges between China and the West.
- Hong Kong: Survey and Mapping Office, Lands Department - Free Map Downloads
- The Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
- The National Atlas of Korea - Internet service
- Japanese Historical Maps
- Represented in this online collection are over 1100 images of maps and books from this Collection. The maps were selected by Yuki Ishimatsu, Head of Japanese Collections at the East Asian Library, and scanned and put online by David Rumsey and Cartography Associates.
- Virtual Shanghai
- The Institut d’Asie Orientale has collected a large number of maps of Shanghai in the course of a research project on the history of the city in the 19th-20th centuries.
Middle East Asia
top of page
AusGeo News features a wide variety of articles covering Geoscience Australia's contribution to natural resource management and conservation, protection of Australia's borders, and the upgrading of ground infrastructure to improve the accuracy and precision of key geodetic techniques.
The Map Room
A web blog about recent happenings in the map world.
GIS Cafe forum
Forum section of the GIS Cafe web site concerning current events.
Cartophilia: Maps and Map Memorabilia
Stamps, postcards, advertising, coffee mugs, shirts, and other ephemera.
Journal of Maps
The Journal of Maps is an inter-disciplinary online, electronic, journal that aims to provide a forum for researchers to publish maps and spatial diagrams. Using full peer review and a reverse publishing method (where the author pays for the review process), all published maps are freely distributed to anyone wishing to view them.
Google Earth Blog
The latest news, updates, links and downloads concerning Google Earth.
The Antique Maps and Prints Blog
A public blog about antique maps & antique prints. Presenting news, views, announcements and discussions about the world of antique maps and antique prints. Everyone is welcome to add comments to the blog posts.
Map the Universe
A blog about antique map collecting.
Just that. Strange maps
MapHist - E-mail discussion group on the history of cartography
MapHist, the Map History Discussion List, is an e-mail discussion group whose primary focus is historical maps, atlases, globes and other cartographic documents. The list is open to all persons interested in the history of cartography and discussion is encouraged on all aspects of this broad subject.
top of page
Map Collections in Australia: a directory
Provides electronic access to information on map collections in Australia. Based on the printed publication of the same name (published in 1991) the database allows you to search a range of organizations which hold a wide variety of maps and associated materials of both Australian and overseas countries.
National Library of Australia
Canberra, Australia, including their Map Collection.
State Library of New South Wales
Sydney, including their Map Collection & Digital Map Collection.
State Library of Victoria
Melbourne, including their Map Collection & 1st Melbourne Board of Works series.
& Depositories Online
New Zealand downloadable maps
1:50,000 & 1:250,000 New Series topography raster and vector ESRI file free download.
1:25,000 scale downloadable maps of the Cook and Tokelau Islands, New Zealand.
London, including their Map Collection.
Geography and Map Division / Library of Congress
The largest and most comprehensive cartographic collection in the world.
World Maps : Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection
Extensive range of online city plans, outline maps, and general political maps from around the world.
Army Map Service Topographic Map Series - Download Google Earth. kml_index
Australia and the Pacific
World Maps : University of California Berkley Map Library
Many sets of digital maps of California and countries from around the world.
- David Rumsey online map collection
- Over 10 000 high resolution images of historical maps from around the world.
- Historic Cities
- Maps and other documents for historic cities.
- Periodical Historical Atlas of Europe
- Political maps of Europe for each centennial year from AD 1 to AD 1700.
- Review and Atlas of Palaeovegetation / J.M. Adams and H. Faure
- Preliminary land ecosystem maps of the world since the Last Glacial Maximum.
- History of Cartography Project / David Woodward
- Home page of the History of Cartography project.
- Map History : History of Cartography / Tony Campbell
- Aims to be the Internet gateway for the History of Cartography.
- The Interactive Noli Map Website
- 1748 Map of Rome
- Maps & Images
- Maps and images hosts collections of outstanding value either for their contents or rarity. At the moment the acquisition of Vladimiro Valerio’s cartographical collection is in progress; 280 images, of this collection, belonging to ten atlases and four large scale maps, are already on line.
- 1421 - The Year China Discovered the World
- Web site expanding the book by the same title by Robert Menzies.
The '1421' Myth Exposed -
Counter arguments to Robert Menzies theories.
top of page
Some Cartographic, Geographic and Digital Tools
- Geographic tips and tools
- Conversions from Degrees, Minutes and Seconds to Decimal Degrees and back again for Australian Projections.
- MapInfo ProViewer - FREE DOWNLOAD
- Use MapInfo ProViewer to share MapInfo Professional® maps and analyses with clients and co-workers. ProViewer allows others to view and manipulate your creations - even if they do not have MapInfo Professional
- FreeGIS.org Project
- The FreeGIS Project provides current listings to free open source GIS supporting application and Geo-data
- Quantum GIS (QGIS) - FREE (Open Source) Availablefor most platforms
- Quantum GIS (QGIS) is a user friendly Open Source Geographic Information System (GIS) that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and Windows.
- GRASS - FREE (Open Source) Available for most platforms
- Geographic Resources Analysis Support System, commonly referred to as GRASS, is a Geographic Information System (GIS) combining raster, vector, and geospatial processing engines into a single integrated software suite.
Dictionary of abbreviations and acronyms in GIS, cartography, and remote sensing
- By Philip Hoehn and Mary Larsgaard.
- Metadata for Digital Spatial Data / Jan Smits
- A collection of links to sites with relevant information.
- Preserving Access to Digital Information (PADI)
- Information on ensuring long-term access to digital information.
- Map Projections
- A site with hundreds of PDFs of different map projections in PDF Graphics, optimized for printing.
- Google Thematic Map Creator - FREE DOWNLOAD
- Google Map Creator is a freeware application designed to make thematic mapping using Google Maps simpler.
- The Google Maps - FREE (Conditional) DOWNLOAD
top of page
Substantial spatial data sets
- Vector Map (VMap) Level 0 is an updated and improved version of the National Imagery and Mapping Agency's (NIMA) Digital Chart of the World (DCW®).
Level 0 includes major road and rail networks, hydrologic drainage systems, utility networks (cross-country pipelines and communication lines), major airports, elevation contours, coastlines, international boundaries and populated places. VMap Level 0 includes an index of geographic names to aid in locating areas of interest.
- ASTER 30m Global Digital Elevation Model (GDEM) -Download NASA or METI
- Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER) GDEM is an easy-to-use, highly accurate DEM covering all the land on earth, and available to all users regardless of size or location of their target areas. Anyone can easily use the ASTER GDEM to display a bird's-eye-view map or run a flight simulation, and this should realize visually sophisticated maps.
- SRTM 90m Digital Elevation Data (DEM download)
- Many applications display KML, including Google Earth, Google Maps, Google Maps for mobile, NASA WorldWind, ESRI ArcGIS Explorer, Adobe PhotoShop, AutoCAD, and Yahoo! Pipes.
- Global Mapping
- Global map thematic data sets will provide coverage of the whole land area on earth at 1 km resolution in a consistent manner. Composed of the following thematic layers elevation, vegetation, land-cover, land-use, transportation drainage systems, boundaries and population centers.
- GIS Data Depot
- Please note that data available from this site requires users to be proficient in GIS and may require access to GIS software.
- Geospatial Data Clearinghouse
- Search for world wide spatial data, from the US FGDC.
- EarthExplorer (GLIS) / USGS
- Information about the Earth's land surfaces.
Sites providing online access to particular data.
- GEO netNames Server / NIMA
- 3.3 Million names of non-US features (US Government).
- World Factbook / CIA
- Provides detailed country profiles, updated annually.
- International Data Base (IDB) / US Census Bureau
- Substantial database of national socio-economic profiles.
- WHOSIS: The WHO Statistical Information System / WHO
- Global health-related information.
top of page
Councils, Societies & Associations
- Australian New Zealand Map Society (ANZMapS)
- Institute of Australian Geographers
- Australian Spatial Sciences Institute (SSI)
- Mapping Sciences Institute Australia (MSI)
New Zealand Map Society
- The Victorian Spatial Council - The peak spatial information associations for business, government, academia, the professions, and key interest groups.
- New Sourth Wales Common Spatial Information Initiative (CS2i) - is a whole of government initiative that provides a framework where government, business and the community can access spatial and related information and services, as well as links to a number of spatial industry groups.
- South Australian Spatial Information Committee - The Spatial Information Committee (SICOM) provides a forum in South Australia for information exchange and discussion on all issues associated with spatial information.
- Queensland Spatial Information Council (QSIC) - QSIC is uniquely characterised by all sectors of industry, meeting as equal partners to assure the progression and success of the Queensland spatial information industry.
- Western Australian Land Information System (WALIS) - is responsible for coordinating across-government access and delivery of the geographic information held by WA Government agencies.
- Association of Canadian Map Libraries and Archives
- Map and Geography Round Table, American Library Association (MAGERT)
- International Federation of Library Associations
and Institutions (IFLA)
- International Map Trade Association (IMTA)
- Western Association of Map Libraries (WAML)
The International Map Collector's Society(IMCS)
- OGC - The Open Geospatial Consortium, Inc.® (OGC) is a non-profit, international, voluntary consensus standards organization that is leading the development of standards for geospatial and location based services.
- CGIAR Consortium for Spatial Information (CGIAR-CSI) - is an initiative of the many geospatial scientists within the Consultative Group for International Agriculture Research (CGIAR) , linking the efforts of CGIAR scientists, national and international partners, and others working to apply and advance Geospatial Science for International Sustainable Agriculture Development, Natural Resource Management, Biodiversity Conservation, and Poverty Alleviation in Developing Countries.
top of page
University of Melbourne
- Maps of the University of Melbourne
- Map of the Parkville campus (inc. pdf). PDF maps for all campuses.
Maps and Floorplans
of the University of Melbourne Parkville Libraries. Lecture threatre listing.
Building documentation including floor plans on special request provided to department staff, consultants and contractors.
- Maps of the University of Melbourne Campuses
- Maps of the University regional campuses.
- Cultural Collections
- The University of Melbourne owns 32 Cultural Collections. The origins of some lie in the earliest years of the University's establishment in the 1850s, while regular new acquisitions keep the collections dynamic and relevant.
- Cartographic services
- The School of Social and Environmental Enquiry offers high quality cartographic and drafting services for research projects, publications and teaching at very competitive rates.