Concert and Theatre Programs Collections
The Louise Hanson-Dyer Music Library has a large collection of concert and theatre programs. This list is intended as a guide to finding program collections, rather than providing full details of the content of individual collections.
24 hours notice must be given prior to viewing by either visiting, phoning +61 3 8344 5262 or sending an email to the Louise Hanson-Dyer Music Library.
Items are viewed in the Cultural Collections Reading Room located on the third floor of the Baillieu Library.
- Concert and Theatre Programs Collection, 1860s-2013 - predominantly Melbourne and Victorian regional performances
- Barry Tuckwell Collection - Concert programs and publicity
- Marshall-Hall Orchestral Concert Programs, 1892-1910 FULLTEXT - Online
- Other concert programs held by the University Library
- Astra concert program and promotional material collection, 1956-2013
Details of individual concerts are list by Astra on website : Astra Chamber Music Society (Vic.) - Astra Concerts, 1978-2012
Other Concert Program Collections of interest
In Australia :
In the United Kingdom :
- Concert Life in 19th-Century London
Database and Research Project..." a collaborative research project ..." Currently a work in progress, with an exciting look at the possibilities of these online offerings.
See - Concert Life in Nineteenth-century London Database, a demonstration of the database in association with the Wigmore Hall.
- Concert Programmes 1790-1914, Centre for Performance History, Royal College of Music, London. "This site is designed primarily as a teaching resource for use by undergraduates and postgraduates working on aspects of performance history, reception history and the social and economic history of music... It currently consists of three main modules - From the Benefit Concert to the Recital, 1800-1914, From Promenade to the Ballad Concert to the Music Hall and The Symphony..." Explores "...the complex history of concert life and the formation of musical canon in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries..."
- The Concert Programmes Project Online Database (Phase 1) has been launched to "document the programme holdings of major libraries, archives and museums in selected regional centres throughout the UK and Ireland. The database currently offers descriptions of some 5,500 collections of music-related performance ephemera held by 53 institutions, including the British Library, the Royal College of Music, the Royal Academy of Music, the national libraries of Scotland and Ireland, the Bodleian Library and Trinity College, Dublin." A search on "Melbourne" or "Australia" lists a number of useful collections.