The Censorship in Australia Forum
In conjunction with the exhibition a free public forum on the topic of censorship in Australia was held on Thursday 12 August at 5:30 in the first floor, Baillieu Library.
- Dr Donald McDonald, Director, Classification Board, to address Australia’s current censorship policies and practices and, in particular, censorship and the internet;
- Dr Philip Nitschke, author of the currently banned book, The Peaceful Pill Handbook, to address the issue of censorship and the individual’s right to life choices information;
- Associate Professor Robert Nelson (Monash University), to address the issue of censorship and art, in particular the so-called Serrano and Henson affairs;
- Associate Professor Richard Pennell (University of Melbourne), to address the issue of censorship and sedition, in particular the significance of banning jihadist literature for research;
- Dr Lauren Rosewarne (University of Melbourne), to address the issue of sexual perversion and the politics of censorship in Australia.
The forum was chaired by its convenor, Associate Professor David Bennett. The forum was free and all were welcome.
The forum is available to listen to online Censorship in Australia Forum Audio Recording.