Journal article with four or more authors
Entry in Reference List
Authors Year of publication, 'Title of article', Name of Publication, Volume, Issue, Page numbers.
For example - Reference List
Fukao, S, McClure, JP, Ito, A, Sato, T, Kimura, I & Tsuda, TAuthors
1999,Year of publication
'1st VHF radar observation of midlatitude F-region field-aligned irregularities',Title of article (within single quotation marks)
Geophysical Research Letters,Name of publication (italicized)
pp. 768-770.Page numbers
For example - In text citation
Fukao et al. (1999) in their studies ...
... were revealed (Fukao et al. 1999).
- When a journal article has four or more authors the in text citation shows only the name of the first listed author followed by 'et al.'
- All the authors' names must be listed in the reference in the order they appear on the article.
- Italicize the name of the journal/publication. Use maximal capitalization - capitalize the first and all major words of the journal name. Give the journal name in full e.g. Journal of Immunology not J Immunol
- Article titles are contained within single quotation marks and are not italicized. Use minimal capitalization - capitalize only the first word of the article title and any proper nouns. Include both article title and subtitle regardless of length e.g. 'Still moving: between cinema and photography'.
- If the journal is part of a series include the series title in the citation. Series titles are not italicized and are placed after the journal name. Use minimal capitalization.
- There is no comma or full-stop between the authors' names and year of publication. Commas are used to separate all other elements. The reference entry finishes with a full-stop.
- The volume number, issue details and inclusive page numbers follow the journal title.
- If a journal does not use volume numbers, include the month, season or other designation after the title.
- The reference list entry for an article in a foreign language can include a translation, in brackets, following the article title e.g. Langhi, C & Cariou, B 2010 'Metabolisme du cholesterol et fonction beta-cellulaire', (Cholesterol metabolism and beta-cell function),